First thing in social networking was email. Since then, social media has evolved and has become more user friendly encouraging users to interact with each other through social media.
Social media is a huge platform, where a person directly connects with others around the world. It’s been evolving with time. People use social media to share their daily stories with the online community.
Social media is not only used to make friends and family bonding but you can also use Social Media to promote your business.
Are you looking for a way to get connected directly with your clients all over the world?
With millions of people, social media has become an easy way to promote your business. Many social media platforms enable you to make strong connection between your brand and potential customers.
Do you want to start off your social media journey? Which platform meets your target audience?
Once you know the answers to the above-mentioned questions, the more easily you can hit the target audience on the right platform.
Now, social networking has evolved more and became in terms of profile that gives the information of the user. It is not only limited to profile but also has the potential to share the videos and images etc. The most common activity on social media is the messaging to communicate with each other.
Online messaging became popular in 2003 with the launch of Friendster and MySpace. When Facebook launched, it has become the biggest platform for social networking around the world since it’s launch beating MySpace and other social networking platforms.
You can count many positive effects of social media, e.g: you can remain in touch with your friends and family and share educational/ informational benefits, etc.
If we talk about social media’s negative effects, you can count them too, e.g: identity theft; reduce interaction in real life, cyber bullying, etc. which shares many similarities with disadvantage of using the Internet.
Social media can also affect your health in several ways, i.e: increase in depression, anxiety and insomnia.
Many popular social media platforms are growing more and more, introducing new features for the world to use. You have to learn social media marketing tips for the promotion of your business. Despite its positive effects, we can’t neglect the negative effects of wasting time and many more.
Positive effects of social media networking
- The most popular positive effect of social networking is that people stay in contact with each other. You can find your friends and family member on social network platforms and be able to stay in touch with them, no matter where you are.
- Groups are formed on social media platforms to share the videos, stories, and images with the same interests. You can also use it as creating expressions through blogging and messaging. You can join groups to find like-minded people who share the same interest as you. There’s a group for everything these days! e.g: groups for entrepreneurs, doctors, engineers, programmers etc.
- Educational/ informational topics are also discussed on such platforms. Thanks to social media, news & other information is spread quickly. Gone are the days when you needed to turn on the news channel to see the breaking news, you can easily find on social network today.
- The technological skills of student can also be improved with social networking. It also helps them to learn new communication skills. The 21st century brings much expertise on a social networking platform, in which creativity, learning, collaboration, and leading skills are included.
- In the business world, the social plays a vital role to grab the customer’s attention and make them buy your products and services. When you build your brand’s awareness with social media marketing services, it will generate the lead of your business and take it to the next level.
- People prefer the use of smartphones over other gadgets. Social networking has become mobile-friendly and is a great idea to access the audience anytime. People use to carry their phones all the time.
Negative effects of social networking
Just like everything else in the world, social networking also comes with negative effects which are as follow:
- It replaces the real interaction with people into online interaction, which can do more than good if person doesn’t go out.
- Teens are not much aware of cybercrimes; they share information that can harm their future hence it’s important for parents to monitor their children.
- Due to social media being addicted, people can tend to use social media in scenarios when it shouldn’t be used. e.g: while driving, at work etc.
- A cell phone emits electromagnetic radiations which can be harmful to health. They are said to be harmful to the brain and body of the human, however there is no certainty as these radiations are said to be ‘not that strong enough’ to cause harm.
Thanks to social media, we’re able to stay in touch with our friends and family over distances. Just like everything else in the world, if used excessively – it can do more bad than good.
Hence it’s advised to use social media moderatly to ensure you don’t become victim to the negative effects of social media.
Ellen Wilson is an expert content marketing manager at Solutionsurface. She is a tech geek and loves to contribute the latest technology tips and tricks especially about mobile-friendly and responsive web design